Call/urge your legislature to pass Brown's Tax Extension
We need your help now to stave off additional devastating cuts to public education and other public services.
Use CTA’s toll-free number – 1.888.268.4334 -- to call your local Assembly Member and state Senator and urge them to support Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposal to extend the state’s temporary tax measures. Dial 1.888.268.4334 and you will be put automatically through to one of your two state lawmakers.
Lawmakers have a choice between extending the temporary taxes or authorizing billions of dollars more in crippling cuts to public schools and other public services. Urge lawmakers to pass the tax extension themselves and send it to the governor for his signature.
Schools would be hit with over $2.3 billion more in cuts if the Legislature does not agree to extend the temporary taxes.
This requires a two-thirds’ vote of the Legislature to achieve the goal, and it will require at least two Republicans in the state Senate and two in the state Assembly to join with all Democrats to extend the taxes or put the measure on a June special election ballot.
- K-12 schools and colleges have already been cut over $20 billion over the last three years--$3,000 per K-12 student.
- Class sizes are soaring, programs are disappearing and entire school years are shrinking in many school districts.
- More than 30,000 California educators and 10,000 other public school employees have been laid off over the past three years.
- Without an extension of current revenues, public schools and colleges will lose more than $2.3 billion.
Here’s what you can do to help!
Use CTA’s toll-free 888 number to call both your state Senator and Assembly Member. Dial 1.888.268.4334 and you will be put automatically through to one of your two state lawmakers.
If you are calling from your home landline phone, the toll-free number will connect you automatically to your Assembly member or State Senator.
If the hotline cannot read your number, it will ask you to enter your zip code and then you will be connected.
You will need to call back to be connected to your second lawmaker.
After you have made your two calls, close the loop by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know:
1) Who did you meet with or reach by phone or e-mail?
2) What was the response? Will the lawmaker support the tax extension?
For more information, contact Legislative Advocate Estelle Lemieux or GR Communications Consultant Len Feldman at 916.325.1500.